Our starting point is to understand clients’ rationale for moving and establish their timescales and budget. This allows us to develop a tailored Disposal Plan for each client - one which meets their financial, occupational and logistics goals.
A critical issue, as most commercial leases in England and Wales fall into two categories:
- ‘Inside the Act’: provides security of tenure provisions covered by the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 (“the Act”)
- ‘Outside the Act’: affords the lessee no protection under the Act.
Leases inside the Act
The Act provides for the lease to be automatically renewed at the end of the lease term. This ensures the tenant has “security of tenure”.
This means that the lease can only be terminated by either the landlord, or the tenant, serving the correct form of notice at the correct times. There are certain circumstances when the landlord can regain possession of the property – for more information please call Richard Beaumont, our Lease Consultancy expert on 020 7747 3183.
Leases outside the Act
Leases outside the Act do not provide any security of tenure i.e. the tenant’s position is vulnerable if an agreement with the landlord has not been secured before the end of the term.
The tenant is therefore at risk of losing their business premises with little or no notice and, they could face unbudgeted costs for relocation to temporary and sometimes unsuitable/more expensive interim accommodation.
Before we even begin to develop the marketing plan, we ‘walk through’ the property to really understand the premises, the location, the transport links, etc.
We review the lease and tenancy information and compile a detailed and accurate property factsheet in preparation for a swift and successful disposal. This includes data such as:
- Market intel – including demand/supply data on comparable local properties
- Business Rates liability commentary
- An assessment of the property condition – validated by our Building Surveyors if required
- Accurate floor and ceiling measurements.
This allows us to make an informed recommendation on quoting terms, as well as likely price/rent which could be realistically achieved.
Every property is unique: every client is unique: every client's requirements are unique. That is why every marketing strategy we develop is unique.
Whether we opt for portal marketing, or tactical placement with selected agents: whether we advertise the property nationally, or target identified potential prospects discretely: we will guarantee you five things;
- Your marketing suite will be tailored and compelling
- Your Disposal Team will be led by an experienced and qualified surveyor
- That team leader will actively promote your property – not manage a team of juniors in a back office somewhere
- We will provide you with regular status reports of the disposal of your property
- If we think it necessary, we will recommend changing marketing tactics – we always adapt to market conditions to achieve the desired result.
In property, success is not just measured by price, but by a myriad of other factors such as contractual terms, dilapidations stipulations, flexibility of occupancy use etc.
Best terms ensures that all your goals are met – financial, occupational, logistics, etc.